Membership provides the opportunity to participate in ASMA exhibitions, events and activities and receive our regular Bulletin.
ASMA Membership categories
The society has three levels of membership: Fellows, Exhibiting Members and Members.
- Fellowship is conferred on those members who have attained exceptional standards in marine art and marine knowledge, and is elected by vote of their peers.
- Exhibiting Membership is the category the majority of our members fall into and is conferred on members whose work meets the Society’s standards. These members are currently practicing artists who wish to take advantage of a professional organization, which supports a community of specialized interests. Exhibiting Members may enter the Society’s exhibitions. Exhibiting members may use ASMA after their name.
- Membership is for those artists who are working towards greater knowledge and competency or who are aspiring marine artists and wish to improve their standard. Members may enter selected Society exhibitions; works are subject to scrutiny by a Selection Committee. A Member may indicate/publish that they are a member of the ASMA but may not use ASMA after their name. We also invite as members people who are keenly interested in marine and maritime matters but are not necessarily practising artists. This offers a forum to historians, other maritime organisations, persons with marine background or careers in the naval or merchant marine, watermen, yachtsmen and those who are keen to further marine art. Here one can use the resources of the Society to tap into a a wealth of experience, knowledge and artistic expertise.
Fees (in Australian $)
Annual membership fees:
All Members $60
There are no concessions for seniors and students.
ASMA Membership Entry requirements
Applicants must be 18 years or over.
Payment of Membership fee
Member Annual fee is $60. Membership is renewed on 1 January each year.
Newly accepted Members will be required to pay their $60 fee upon the submission of their membership application.
If you are joining between January 1st and September 30th, your first membership payment covers the remainder of the current year. If you are joining between October 1st and December 31st, your first membership payment covers the remainder of the current year and also the coming year.
Newly accepted Member artists who demonstrate the required standard may also be considered for admission as Exhibiting Members.
A separate Exhibiting Membership Application Form will be required. This Form is available to exisiting members, on their Member Dashboard (once logged in to the website). These applications will be adjudicated and considered by the ASMA Selection Panel.
It is recommended that you consider which works may best be submitted regarding the required subject matter (marine art) and a high level of presentation. If you have questions or wish to discuss your application before submitting it, please contact email@example.com
ASMA Exhibiting Membership Entry requirements
Applicants must be 18 years or over; they must attain or have standard membership BEFORE applying for exhibiting membership; and entry is by selection by a panel of fellows.
Entry to Exhibiting Membership is by selection only. Our Selection panel will require:
- your completed application form (this form is available as a PDF here or as an online form, which is visible on the member dashboard once logged into the website)
- 4 high quality emailed images of recent marine artworks (minimum 1MB, of the artwork only without framing visible)
- In the case of sculptures or models, three images/photographs of each work are required to show the work from different angles.
- please include a brief description or statement for each work
- a short resume of your marine artwork experience (artistic background)
- reasons for seeking Exhibiting Membership.
Exhibiting Membership Applications may either be done via the online form, or emailed to the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: good photography of your artwork will assist immeasurably towards helping the Selection Committee make their judgement. If you have questions or would like advice on this matter, feel free to reach out to the Secretary.
Payment of Exhibiting Membership fee
Exhibiting Member Annual fee is $60. Membership is renewed on 1 January each year.
Please note: If you are joining between January 1st and September 30th, your first membership payment covers the remainder of the current year. If you are joining between October 1st and December 31st, your first membership payment covers the remainer of the current year and also the coming year.