At the age of 14, John joined Henry Rousel as an apprentice sign writer, this is where well-known portrait artist Roy Rousel and pub mirror artist Stan Denford cultivated John’s early interest in art. John’s interest progressed rapidly into a passion as he pursed art, being tutored by Graeme Inson using the Meldrum Principles of Tonal Impressionism.
John is widely recognised as a Traditional Oil Artist, specialising in Still Life and Landscape paintings. Over many years he has pursued various subjects which he is now renowned for, such as his Marine and Streetscape works, whilst receiving a multitude of first place prizes, highly commended and commended awards throughout his successful career in the art world. He is currently highly sort after by Art Societies and private organisers across Australia for his detailed masterclasses and judging critiques. He has also provided tutoring to many artists throughout his career, as well as tutoring with larger establishments art programs such as Charles Sturt University Bathurst, Grafton Artsfest and University of Western Sydney Richmond Campus and at the Combined Art Society of Sydney’s Art in Action.
John has adopted a large number of roles throughout his career and is currently the President and a Fellow of the Royal Art Society of NSW. He is also a former President and Life Member of Drummoyne Art Society, Inaugural President of the Combined Art Societies of Sydney and also a Fellow of the Australian Society of Marine Artists.
Click the thumbnails to see details about each image
Awards & Achievements
• 2020 Medal of Distinction – Royal Art Society of NSW
• Four-time recipient – Art of Sydney Award – “Sydney Theme”
• Five time ‘Best in Show’ Recipient – Joshua Smith Award, Drummoyne Art Society
• Three-time recipient of the Drummoyne Art ‘Best in Show’
• Thora Unger “Best in Show” Award – Royal Art Society of NSW
• Two time ‘Best in Show’ Recipient – Tumut Art Society
• Winner of the Lloyd Rees Award, Lane Cove Art Show
• Winner of The Sailing Heritage Open Art Prize
• Winner of the Drummoyne Open Awards
• Three-time Winner of the Tumut Society Oil Section
• Overall Winner of the 20th Anniversary Australian Society of Marine Artists
• Highly Commended: Maritime Section – The Royal Easter Show
• Highly Commended: Rural East Show