Karen burst onto the local art scene in her early 40’s, surprising most with her ability in numerous mediums including charcoal and oil.
Early loss and challenge led Karen to an interest in the mechanisms that inspire human behaviours and emotion. Not having studied art at school, Karen spent years travelling, photographing and experiencing life but knew this was only a foundation for something as yet intangible.
Turning 40 heralded the recognition for Karen that life is meant for the living and corporate life was simply no longer tolerable. She spent the following 5 years working part-time and attending Fine Art studies at TAFE College, where she discovered new mediums and skills and, most importantly, the confidence to share her art.
Living and working on the beautiful Central Coast of NSW (Australia), Karen brings her interest in emotion to every medium she uses resulting in rich, piercing and at times hauntingly beautiful imagery. Karen’s influences have been early realist painter Caravaggio, surrealist painter Dali, as well as contemporary artists Georgia O’Keefe, Lucian Freud and Ben McLaughlin.
Now sought for commission work, Karen’s work graces collections from Australia to London and Copenhagen.
Awards & Commendations
- November 2016 – Portia Geach Memorial Award, Finalist ‘Artist as Subject’
- October 2016 – Paddington Art Prize, Finalist ‘Siloettes’
- September 2016 – ANL Maritime Art Awards, Finalist ‘Stevedores’
- May 2016 – Hunters Hill Art Prize, Finalist ‘Pre-dawn Hum’
- September 2015 – Gosford Art Prize, Finalist ‘Arterial Flow‘
- March 2015 – Faces Of Humanity, Art Competion.net, Honorable Mention, ‘The Reality of Us All (Noir)’
- October 2014 – St George Art Awards, Finalist ‘Love Changes Everything‘
- September 2014 – Gosford Art Prize, Finalist ‘Memory Lane‘
- March 2014 – SHE, Finalist ‘Vivien‘
- November 2013 – Hornsby Art Prize, Finalist ‘Powerful Owl‘
- October 2012 – Mental Health Art Works
- Gosford Regional Gallery Highly Commended Award, ‘Shadowself’
- October 2011 – Mental Health Art Works
- Gosford Regional Gallery Encouragement Award ‘Fallout’
- October 2011 – ArtTT, Art Toppling Tobacco, 2nd Place, ‘Lost in a smokey haze’